After two days of tension-filled confrontations and the filing of charges in court, Tanjay City, Negros Oriental residents, who initially resisted an eviction order, finally volunteered to take down their illegal structures Wednesday, Chief Insp. Teodorico Picardal, Tanjay police chief, said yesterday.
He added that a peaceful closure was reached with the opposing illegal settlers, after Porferio Sambilad and Perpito Zerna, who had refused to heed the court ejectment order Tuesday, voluntarily demolished their homes with the help of hired workers.
The police also provided assistance to Sambilad and Zerna, Picardal added.
Residents of Lawton Drive in Barangay 7, Tanjay City, were the subjects of the eviction proceedings filed in court by Hilario Comcom Sr., who claimed ownership of the land.
Last month, many of the informal settlers voluntarily demolished their houses and requested the police to give them time to salvage construction materials for recycling.
Picardal said three of the 89 informal settlers, who are the respondents in the eviction order, refused to comply with the order, that prompted court and police officials to again serve the order Tuesday.
Zerna, who was brought to the police station for obstruction of justice and direct assault against persons in authority charges, was presented in court for inquest proceedings Wednesday, he added.
The charges for direct assault against Zerna were filed by PO2 Remmel Bonganciso and PO1 Alvin Torres, but witnesses said they had caught on mobile phone video the policemen allegedly pointing their firearms at a resident.*JFP